Friday, November 19, 2010

Limited Google Docs Editing on Mobile Devices


Mobile browser editing, editing on the iPad, and more new features now in Google Docs

Released on 11/17/2010

The following new features are now available in Google Docs:

Mobile editing: Log in to your Google Docs on a browser on a supported device, and select the document you want to edit. Then, when you’re viewing it, press the ‘Edit’ button to switch to the mobile editor. If you use an Android device with voice input, you can also use this to add text to your document.

-----------------
I tried it and this is what I found: it WORKS on the iPad, iPhone, and Droid OS phone (in my case, HTC Aria) . . .

I could not edit a document created before the update.

I could edit a document made today, but with no tools. This is what I mean by tools:
I could make a new document and type, JUST TYPE, again, no editing tools.

Spreadsheets of any vintage could be edited.

This is a great improvement and really shows they're working on it, which is what the Google folks I talked to in Austin a few weeks ago said. Seems like full Google Doc creation may be coming soon on mobile devices! (What a revolution.)

I look forward to taking notes right in Google Docs when I'm not at my computer. I'll have to edit when I get back to my desk, but what's new? At least I won't have to email myself the file from my iPad!

I don't yet see how to do voice entry to a Google Doc on my Droid OS phone. If anyone sees how to do that, please comment back and let me know.
Post a Comment